Manitoba Marriage Commmissioner and Marriage License Vendor

Marry Me, Hunnie

Click here to edit subtitle


Getting Married in Manitoba

Posted by Sheryl Hunnie on June 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Vital Statistic Manitoba provides a wealth of information for couples who wish to be married in Manitoba.  Here is a summary of what you need to know ,taken from the Vital Stats website. I have made a few notes within the text for clarification purposes.

"Marriages are performed by registered clergy or registered marriage commissioners. You may choose a religious ceremony or a personal ceremony with a marriage commissioner.


If you are getting married in Manitoba, you must:both be present to buy the marriage licence from a registered issuer in your area at least twenty-four (24) hours before the ceremony. (Note: Your licence is valid only in Manitoba and only for three (3) months from the date of purchase.)

You must also prove that you are eligible to be married.

Single - (never married) and over 18 years of age.

Divorced persons are required to show one of: Divorce Certificate, Decree Absolute.

Persons whose spouse is deceased must show:Death Certificate or Funeral Home Certificate or Obituary clipping from the newspaper.

Provide identification for proof of age (18 years or older).  Acceptable documents for identification can include:Birth Certificate, Passport or US Passport Card, Citizenship Certificate (Canadian or United States), Canada Immigration documents, Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card, Government of Canada Indian Status Card, Fire Arms Card, Driver's Licence (photo ID) with one of the following:Manitoba Health Card, Senior Citizen Card, Change of Name Certificate, Employee Card (with birth date), Social Insurance Card."

If you are not sure where to purchase a Marriage Licence, here is a link to a list of licence issuers in the Winnipeg area

 A list of rural issuers is here



Before your Ceremony Date, you must:

Make your arrangements with a clergy or a marriage commissioner. Give your licence and the white self-addressed envelope to your marriage commissioner or clergy.

I will accept your license at the wedding rehearsal.  If you are opting not to have a wedding rehearsal with me, then you may drop off your licence to me any time prior to your ceremony date.

After your Ceremony:

Both parties, your witnesses, and the clergy or marriage commissioner who performed the ceremony must all sign the Marriage Registration.The clergy or marriage commissioner will send the Marriage Registration to our office to officially register your marriage.

Note: Vital Statistics Agency does not automatically issue a Marriage Certificate. You have to apply for your Marriage Certificate. I am unable to apply for you.

The request form is given to you when you purchase your Marriage Licence.  You may request the certificate any time after your ceremony.  It is my practice to mail the licence to the Vital Statistics office immediately following your ceremony.

Choosing a surname after marriage or entry into a common-law relationship

 As a married person or a person living in a common-law relationship, you have a number of options for choosing your surname.

You may retain your present surname; You may assume your spouse's surname or common-law partner's surname; You may combine your present surname with your spouse's or common-law partner's surname, with or without a hyphen (it does not matter which surname you use first); or You may assume your spouse's or common-law partner's surname and retain your present surname as a given, middle name. All options apply equally to men and women.


If you were born in Manitoba, your birth certificate does not change to your married name or common-law partner's name.


If you are living common-law, it will be necessary to file a declaration with Vital Statistics in order to change your surname. You will be charged a fee to obtain a Certificate of Election of Surname that will provide proof of your new name.

Changing your Identification after Marriage or Change of Name

This information applies to Manitoba residents.

 It is your responsibility to change your name on your personal identification and documents. In most cases, a marriage certificate or change of name certificate will be required. To view a list of some offices you may have to notify if you are assuming a new name, please visit the Vital Stats web site.


Categories: "Must Read" Information

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In


Reply michelle C
8:37 PM on April 5, 2014 
Inquiring if it is common for there to be a name change when common law? And if so what is the time frame in which individuals do so.?
Reply Sheryl
1:04 AM on April 6, 2014 
michelle C says...
Inquiring if it is common for there to be a name change when common law? And if so what is the time frame in which individuals do so.?

Hi Michelle,
Whether or not you choose to change your name, or how you change it, is totally your call. There is no "standard time frame"; go with whatever you and your common-law partner decide. IN my experience, some of the people I know that have been in common law relationships have changed their names, others have not. I realize this may not help you much, but I don't think there are any "rules", much in the same way that perons who decide to marry may or may not choose to adopt a new name. Follow your heart!
Reply Debra
3:00 PM on July 21, 2014 
Looking for a marriage commissioner for southern MB around Altona area. Non religious ceremony in a small restaurant/banquet hall. I've tried the 3 listed online for Altona area, 2 are religious only one doesn't return calls.
Reply Sheryl Hunnie
3:51 PM on July 21, 2014 
Hi Debra,
Please provide me with details as to your wedding date and time. You may choose to email me at
Reply Hyacinth Choice
10:37 PM on May 27, 2016 
Practical commentary - I was enlightened by the details ! Does someone know where my company might be able to get a fillable PA form MV-145A copy to use ?
Reply Orzfszdb
9:47 AM on February 4, 2017 
Hello. And Bye. ewewew