Manitoba Marriage Commissioner and Marriage License Vendor
Sheryl Hunnie and Associates     email, text 204-771-6736
Preferred Vendor
Best Business Award

Marry Me, Hunnie

Click here to edit subtitle


Marriage Certificates and Name Changes more information

Posted by anonymous on August 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I have been fielding a number of emails lately regarding Marriage Certificates and Change of Name. As previously mentioned in my “Getting Married in Manitoba” blog entry, once the ceremony has been completed and I have mailed in the signed marriage license, you may apply for a Marriage Certificate and take the steps necessary to change your name.  As a Marriage Commissioner, it is my responsibility to ensure that I file all of the paperwork in a timely fashion.  In fact,it is stipulated that I must do so within 48 hours of your ceremony!  Unfortunately, I cannot give you a copy of any of the documentation.  When you purchase your licence from a registered vendor, you are given a form to fill out and submit once the ceremony has been completed and the paperwork filed. If you misplace the form, you can easily access the information on line  There is a fee attached to the certificate.  I am not allowed to apply on your behalf.

If either of you are changing your surname, you would do so once you have received the Marriage Certificate UNfortunately, you will be waiting a few months for your marriage to be registered, and then another number of weeks for Vital Stats to process your certificate..  (You can call yourself Mr. and/or Mrs. NewName as soon as you want…but in order for your new name to be legally recognized on documents, you must contact the various agencies yourself.) This information is provided by Vital Statistics

I hope this information helps you to navigate the process a little more smoothly.


Getting Married in Manitoba

Posted by anonymous on June 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Vital Statistic Manitoba provides a wealth of information for couples who wish to be married in Manitoba.  Here is a summary of what you need to know ,taken from the Vital Stats website. I have made a few notes within the text for clarification purposes.

"Marriages are performed by registered clergy or registered marriage commissioners. You may choose a religious ceremony or a personal ceremony with a marriage commissioner.


If you are getting married in Manitoba, you must:both be present to buy the marriage licence from a registered issuer in your area at least twenty-four (24) hours before the ceremony. (Note: Your licence is valid only in Manitoba and only for three (3) months from the date of purchase.)

You must also prove that you are eligible to be married.

Single - (never married) and over 18 years of age.

Divorced persons are required to show one of: Divorce Certificate, Decree Absolute.

Persons whose spouse is deceased must show:Death Certificate or Funeral Home Certificate or Obituary clipping from the newspaper.

Provide identification for proof of age (18 years or older).  Acceptable documents for identification can include:Birth Certificate, Passport or US Passport Card, Citizenship Certificate (Canadian or United States), Canada Immigration documents, Canadian Armed Forces Identification Card, Government of Canada Indian Status Card, Fire Arms Card, Driver's Licence (photo ID) with one of the following:Manitoba Health Card, Senior Citizen Card, Change of Name Certificate, Employee Card (with birth date), Social Insurance Card."

Marry Me, Hunnie is a registered marriage licence vendor! Here is a link to a list of licence issuers in the Winnipeg area

 A list of rural issuers is here



Before your Ceremony Date, you must:

Make your arrangements with a clergy or a marriage commissioner. Give your licence and the white self-addressed envelope to your marriage commissioner or clergy.

I will accept your license at the wedding rehearsal.  If you are opting not to have a wedding rehearsal with me, then you may drop off your licence to me any time prior to your ceremony date.

After your Ceremony:

Both parties, your witnesses, and the clergy or marriage commissioner who performed the ceremony must all sign the Marriage Registration.The clergy or marriage commissioner will send the Marriage Registration to our office to officially register your marriage.

Note: Vital Statistics Agency does not automatically issue a Marriage Certificate. You have to apply for your Marriage Certificate. I am unable to apply for you.

The request form is given to you when you purchase your Marriage Licence.  You may request the certificate any time after your ceremony.  It is my practice to mail the licence to the Vital Statistics office immediately following your ceremony.

Choosing a surname after marriage or entry into a common-law relationship

 As a married person or a person living in a common-law relationship, you have a number of options for choosing your surname.

You may retain your present surname; You may assume your spouse's surname or common-law partner's surname; You may combine your present surname with your spouse's or common-law partner's surname, with or without a hyphen (it does not matter which surname you use first); or You may assume your spouse's or common-law partner's surname and retain your present surname as a given, middle name. All options apply equally to men and women.


If you were born in Manitoba, your birth certificate does not change to your married name or common-law partner's name.


If you are living common-law, it will be necessary to file a declaration with Vital Statistics in order to change your surname. You will be charged a fee to obtain a Certificate of Election of Surname that will provide proof of your new name.

Changing your Identification after Marriage or Change of Name

This information applies to Manitoba residents.

 It is your responsibility to change your name on your personal identification and documents. In most cases, a marriage certificate or change of name certificate will be required. To view a list of some offices you may have to notify if you are assuming a new name, please visit the Vital Stats web site.